UPDATED NOV 25, 2022
2023 Fees for Fernie Volleyball Club Teams
- 13U Girls (Travel): $625 to FVC + $21.81 direct to VA/VC
- 14U Girls (Travel): $700 to FVC + $21.81 direct to VA/VC
- 15U Girls (Travel): $750 to FVC + $21.81 direct to VA/VC
- 16U Girls (Travel): $770 to FVC + $21.81 direct to VA/VC
- 17U Girls (Travel): $770 to FVC + $21.81 direct to VA/VC
- 15/16U Boys (Travel): $770 to FVC + $21.81 direct to VA/VC
- 17/18U Boys (Travel) – TEAM WILL RUN VIA HAVC (ELKFORD) – CONTACT firstname.lastname@example.org
- Development (no travel) – TBD if interest/need and coaching/facilities available
*GREAT NEWS* – 2023 FEES HAVE NOT INCREASED FROM 2022 DESPITE REASONABLY SIGNIFICANT INCREASES IN BASE COSTS TO VOLLEYBALL ALBERTA MEMBERSHIPS AND TOURNAMENT FEES.
Volleyball Alberta (VA) and Volleyball Canada (VC) collect fees for competitive players beyond the fees the club charges. FVC is able to collect and pay a portion of these fees on behalf of all players that participate on a competitive team. There is also a portion that has to be paid directly by the athlete/family ahead of tryouts. This fee to be settled ahead of tryouts is considered a ‘2023 Youth Development Player – Tryout’ fee and totals $21.81 ($14 to Volleyball Alberta and $5 to Volleyball Canada + taxes/fees). See below for information about registering for the Youth Development Player – Tryout membership. This fee must be paid and you must send proof of this to the club ahead of tryouts.
For athletes that are offered a spot on an FVC Travel team and accept, the club will be upgrading the VA/VC membership for each athlete on a team roster from ‘Development’ to ‘Youth Indoor Competitive Player’. This upgrade amount is another ~$95 and is collected as part of the overall FVC fees collected. (The overall values at the top of the page for different age categories include these amounts)
Fees will fluctuate on a year-to-year basis but for 2023 the budgeted FVC base fees for the Travel teams range between $832 and $1132 per player. The club is excited to have run successful camp and recreational programs and done enough fundraising to be in a position to offer a very large subsidy (average of more than $300 per player) this year again to significantly lower these base fees to the levels posted at the top. This level of base fee and subsidy is not guaranteed to be consistent/available every year but the FVC works hard to try and make the club as accessible as possible by keeping fees as low as possible.
The FVC portion of fees includes the tournament fees and coaching costs for ALL Volleyball Alberta Premier tournaments and Provincial championships. If teams decide (as a team) to participate in additional events (Volleyball Canada Nationals, US events, etc) the event & coaching costs will be separate and shared across participating players on those teams. (Teams are welcome to fundraise as a team to help offset additional tournament costs)
Families should also budget the cost of travel, accommodation and food for Premier and Provincial championship events during the season. Some players/parents stay with friends/family in Calgary & Edmonton and many stay in a team organized hotel. Typically games start quite early on Saturday so travelling later on Friday and staying 2 nights in Calgary/Edmonton is common. Additional tournaments such as Nationals or the larger US events are often 3 days of competition requiring a longer stay.
Yearly FVC fees are determined by a rigorous budgeting exercise taking into consideration a number of factors including:
– Anticipated number of teams and anticipated number of players per team
– Number and location of tournaments
– Coaching costs (Travel Expenses and Honorarium)
– Uniform & Equipment requirements
– Facilities requirements
– General overhead for operating the club (Website, Volleyball Alberta Registrations, Accounting/Legal, etc)
If costs are a barrier to participation in the club, we encourage families to pursue support programs such as:
– Emily Brydon Youth Foundation: https://wp.emilybrydonyouthfoundation.com/
– Canadian Tire Jumpstart: http://jumpstart.canadiantire.ca/en.html
– Kidsport Canada: http://www.kidsportcanada.ca/british-columbia/
– Athletics 4 Kids: http://www.a4k.ca/
We have had a number of FVC athletes supported via these programs in past years.
TRYOUTS (NOV 27th to DEC 11th)
Athletes are encouraged to attend both sessions offered for their age/gender.
- Only Players appearing on this list (navigate age/gender categories along the bottom tabs) having completed the requirements below will be allowed entry during Tryouts. 2023 TRYOUT LIST
- If your player is on this list but isn’t planning to tryout, please email email@example.com to advise us that your player should be removed from the tryout list.
- Proof of Volleyball Alberta/Canada registration as a Youth Development Player – Tryout will need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org NO LATER THAN END OF DAY ON THURSDAY, NOV 24TH. (see below for details).
- A $10 fee is assessed to all tryout participants to cover tryout costs. Please eTransfer $10 to email@example.com NO LATER THAN END OF DAY ON THURSDAY, NOV 24TH. (The $10 covers both tryout sessions)
- Athletes should come prepared in athletic wear (shorts/t-shirt) with appropriate indoor court shoes and knee pads (if used). A labeled water bottle is strongly recommended.
13U Girls (1 Team planned)
- Sunday, Dec 4th – 4-6PM – Fernie Secondary School
- Wednesday, Dec 7th – 4-6PM – Max Turyk Community Centre
14U Girls (1 Team planned)
- Sunday, Nov 27th – 2-4PM – Fernie Secondary School
- Monday, Dec 5th – 4-6PM – Max Turyk Community Centre
15U Girls (1 Team planned)
- Sunday, Dec 4th – 4-6PM – UPDATED: Max Turyk Community Centre
- Wednesday, Dec 7th – 6-8PM – Max Turyk Community Centre
16U Girls (1 Team planned)
- Sunday, Nov 27th – 4-6PM – Fernie Secondary School
- Tuesday, Dec 6th – 6:30-8:30PM – Max Turyk Community Centre
17U Girls (1 Team planned)
- Sunday, Nov 27th – 4-6PM – UPDATED: Max Turyk Community Centre
- Monday, Dec 5th – 6-8PM – Max Turyk Community Centre
15/16U Boys (1 Team planned)
- Sunday, Nov 27th – 2-4PM – UPDATED: Max Turyk Community Centre
- Tuesday, Nov 29th – 6:30-8:30PM – Max Turyk Community Centre
17/18U Boys – TEAM WILL RUN VIA HAVC (ELKFORD) – CONTACT firstname.lastname@example.org
For all teams above we expect more athletes trying out than we have roster spots. Within 72 hours of the completion of the 2nd tryout, emails will be sent to offer roster positions to a maximum of 12 players. This process can take a few days to complete so players/parents are asked to be patient. Everyone will be sent an email to advise of their status. FVC fees must be paid at the time of accepting the roster offer (there is an option of paying 50% of fees at offer acceptance and balance by end of January).
VOLLEYBALL ALBERTA / CANADA REGISTRATION (REQUIRED BEFORE TRYOUTS)
Here is the Registration Link for the ‘2023 Youth Development Player – Tryout’ membership:
For a video on how to register (if not previously registered with SportLomo), please follow this link: https://www.loom.com/share/eaa86b13e1eb440ba7142624de31806b
For returning players, you can login with previous SportLomo credentials. Follow this link for a support video: https://www.loom.com/share/67163fbbdfbd4f96b060b96a8edee752
- For new members: You can create the SportLomo account under either your player (with their email, etc) directly or the parent. When you actually complete the ‘Member Details’ (after account creation) you will be filling in the details of your player.
- If you or your player have a SportLomo account from previously registering for Volleyball BC or Volleyball Canada events, you can use this same account when purchasing the Volleyball Alberta/Canada ‘2023 Youth Development Player – Tryout’ membership.
- The Volleyball Alberta Zone/Region to select during registration (if asked) is ‘Region 1 – Sunny South’.
- After successfully registering and paying for the membership you should receive an email (check spam folder) that looks like (CLICK FOR EXAMPLE).
- Please forward this email to email@example.com by the Nov 24th deadline.
TEAM SELECTION / COMPOSITION
The FVC coaching staff will select a maximum of 12 athletes to form any of the competitive teams. In gender/age categories where there is strong interest and a larger number of athletes participating in tryouts, not all athletes will be offered a position on the team. The coaching staff is not bound to select the maximum 12 athletes if it’s deemed that a significant skill gap (or commitment gap) exists that could be detrimental to overall team development.
In determining team selection, the FVC coaching staff will assess:
- Core Volleyball skills and abilities
- Overall athletic ability
- Effort/focus during tryouts
- Overall demeanour, perceived coachability and team fit
If the number of athletes trying out in any category is significant (e.g. 22+) and practice facilities and coaching is available the FVC will consider forming two teams (generally organized by ability) in the same category. If there are players that aren’t offered roster positions with teams and enough are interested (across gender & age categories) the club may offer some developmental play opportunities if we have facilities and coaches available. This development program (if offered) would be promoted in January for a late January start.
If you have questions about the Tryout process or FVC competitive teams/season, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Practice days/times for various teams (starting early January 2023) are not yet established but will be updated soon on the FVC website. To review 2023 tournament dates/locations for various groups, please visit: https://fernievolleyball.com/programs/
We can’t wait to get the season started!
Again if your player isn’t showing on the 2023 TRYOUT LIST that indicates you haven’t yet completed the Expression of Interest form online, please do so ASAP at the following link: https://forms.gle/RiUuMkc87uoALAB1A